Friday, September 5, 2008

Only losers volunteer

When I was an undergrad I considered doing some volunteer service after my degree. The Jesuits had a great programme for young people wanting to work with the poor for a year or two and I was thinking of applying. When I told my employers they told me that "only losers volunteer."

The Republican VP candidate seems to have a similar attitude towards those who work as community organizers instead of a 'real' job like being governor. Tim at Tale Spin has a great post about the response of a number of community organizers to her comments. Please read it here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wrote a paper in seminary called "Jesus as community organizer." I guess I was ahead of my time.

Erin said...

Of course now Obama is running for Caesar's job :-)

Anonymous said...

This is just silly. Even Obama figured out he could get more things done as mayor than as community organizer. Why do you think he wants to be prez?:

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=2e0a7836-b897-4155-864c-25e791ff0f50