Thursday, March 1, 2007

Happy St. David's Day!

Today is the Feast of St. David, the Patron Saint of Wales. My father's father came from Wales. His father was a coal miner and they came to B.C. to work in the mines there. From that side of the family I learned to support unions and sing in groups. From Tom Graham, one of my religious studies profs at the U of Winnipeg, I learned to wear a leek on March 1st. Well, okay, he wore a leek on March 1st and I learned what a leek was. Can't say that I've ever actually worn one but I do like eating them now. If you don't like leeks eat a Welsh cake instead (too bad they have raisins in them - yuck). Now if only I had been named Philipa Phillips!

   Guide me, O thou great Jehovah, 
pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
hold me with thy powerful hand.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven,
feed me till I want no more;
feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through.
Strong deliverer, strong deliverer,
be thou still my strength and shield;
be thou still my strength and shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
death of death and hell's destruction,
land me safe on Canaan's side.
Songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to thee;
I will ever give to thee.
William Williams

No comments: