Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Reflection in the Chalice

Aaron, over at Aaron's Head and I share an anniversary. We were both priested on the Second Sunday of Advent. I was ordained five years ago on what was also the Feast of the Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Aaron this Sunday. He's written a wonderful post about celebrating his first Eucharist and catching a glimpse of himself and others in the reflection of the chalice as he elevates it. I loved what he said about that. I too was struck when I began to celebrate when I saw myself and the window in the chalice. His words are poetic and can be read here.

I am not sure what to consider my first Eucharist. We ran out of wine the night of my ordination (about 90 of us were shoehorned into the church which holds 70 and another 90-100 were in the hall watching on a video feed so it was kind of hard for the bishop to estimate numbers) so I had to do the quick prayer of consecration for more wine. So I guess that was it.

No comments: