Monday, February 5, 2007

Re-creating with our community

Lisa Lambert gave a fascinating talk tonight on the impact of the double burden of work and volunteering on women. One of the things that she suggested that really resonated with me was that we have private leisure and public work. She talked about how we flee town on holidays rather than staying with our friends to re-create our relationships through shared leisure. I know that I can find rest and delight in Saskatchewan in a way that is difficult to do here but that doesn't mean I shouldn't find time to rest and recreate with friends here. Yet the busier I get the quicker this seems to get pushed out of my schedule. And of course she pointed out that we have to schedule our leisure time too.

One of the things I most enjoy about this lecture series is that people do take the time to have a conversation together and it gives us an opportunity to enjoy some community.

1 comment:

Anie said...

great thoughts, preacher lady.