Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Being found out

This morning, when I left the house, I found an envelope stuck between my doors. In handwriting I recognize is a message: "Do not open until August 11th. Yes, you read that correctly. Be sure your sin will find you out."

I laughed as I read the note and rejoiced that my vacationing friends are thinking ahead to my birthday. I recognized the bible verse from when I was a kid and we would drive on the weekends to the lake. Every week we passed a pretty little white country church by the side of the road with a big sign outside which read, "Be sure your sin will find you out." I always thought the church was pretty but to a non-church going kid there was nothing welcoming about the sign. I used to think that going to church was like going for my yearly check up at the dentist: "Be sure we'll find those cavities." Maybe they were just being descriptive as certainly our sins have a way of turning around and biting us but I rather think not. This is about as inviting to me as the church not far from here that used to have a sign which read, "by invitation only." And I don't think they meant Jesus' invitation, "come unto me all ye who are weary...."

No comments: