Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pilgrimage to Dog River

Got the pictures downloaded and here they are - holy Canadian shrines:






We turned off the #1 onto a gravel road because I thought I saw a small Rouleau sign. We drove on faith because it seemed like we were heading to nowhere and then we came to a paved road with a sign saying Rouleau. We drove a little way further and saw all the cars parked by the side of the road. I felt a little goofy hanging out with the tourists taking photos of the Corner Gas set but it was fun. There was a woman standing there handing out postcards and a map of the town with the other buildings marked. We then did a tour of the town and took more photos before heading to the Dog River police station which is an ice cream bar and gift shop. They didn't have a big selection but we bought some gifts and signed our names on the wall with thousands of other pilgrims. Then it was back in the car and up to Regina, all on paved roads this time. After grabbing lunch I went into Starbucks to get a latte for the road and who was sitting there but Brent Butt and Nancy Robertson. On the Corner Gas website Brent writes: “I love what I do,” Brent says. “It’s just like having coffee – only now it’s with a thousand or so people at a time.” Well there he was having coffee surrounded by a couple dozen folks who were being polite Canadians and ignoring them. I wouldn't let my GD go in unless she could promise not to make a fuss and she couldn't promise. It felt pretty cool to see them right after visiting Dog River but I was glad I wasn't wearing a Corner Gas ball cap or something really goofy like that. I'm sure they didn't see the discrete little Ruby pin I have pinned to my MEC bag.

No comments: